Nintendo has released update 4.0.0 for the Nintendo Switch. This update allows for video capture for 30 seconds on select games. Currently the only games that work with feature are The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Splatoon 2, ARMS, and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. You can share these videos on Facebook and Twitter.
Another new feature is the ability to transfer data to another console. You can also pick from 12 new Super Mario Odyssey and The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild icons for your account. There is also an option to pre-purchase games and be able to pre-load so that they will be available for launch. Nintendo has plans to make this available for most games in the future.
There is also an update for the news channel. It will feature a new look. Unfollowing a channel will remove that channel’s content from the news feed and following the channel again will make it reappear.
Another new update is to match software version with a group of local users
- To create a group, head to the software’s Options > Software Update > Match Version with Local Users
- Everyone’s software will be updated to match the most recent version in the group
- All users must be on system menu version 4.0.0 or later to view and join a group
The last update is general system stability improvements to enhance the user’s experience, including:
- Changed the specification which hid wireless networks using TKIP security from the network search results. Wireless networks using TKIP security will now display in search results as a grayed-out selection instead of not being displayed
- The Nintendo Switch console supports WEP, WPA-PSK(AES), and WPA2-PSK(AES). If your router is using a different security type (e.g. WPA-PSK(TKIP)), you will need to change this security type within your router’s settings.
Beyond all of this, this update also added USB headset functionality and Nintendo has talked about expanding the recording time out to 5 minutes.