Welcome to the Daily News Recap here on the official Nintendo Prime web initiative. This daily feature will house the day’s big Nintendo news stories. Some of these items can be found reported on the YouTube channel with Nate’s lovely face, but these posts will cover more news which hasn’t been featured on the channel as of yet. It all depends on the amount of news stories trickling throughout the day.
Nintendo Switch Emulator Releases
Yuzu is an open source Nintendo Switch emulator causing quite a ruckus in the community. Some fans are ecstatic, while others are enraged over it. Our full breakdown of the controversy and emulator release can be found right here.
Netflix Looking Into Switch Support
For a while, it appeared as if Netflix was asleep at the wheel. You would think as a company they would be supporting a platform which sells over 10 million units in nine months, especially since Hulu released for Switch a while back. The Netflix Twitter account for support eventually told one user it “currently [had] no plans” for Netflix on the console.
The streaming giant soon corrected itself, with a spokesperson stating: “We are still exploring the opportunity with Nintendo, but don’t have definitive plans to share at this time.”
Limited Run Games Releasing Saturday Morning RPG for Switch
Limited Run Games has announced its first Switch title. Saturday Morning RPG will be sold digitally and physically, with physical cartridges being found only on LRG’s online store. Take a look at the press release:
Saturday Morning RPG is an episodic JRPG set in world heavily inspired by 1980s Saturday morning cartoons and pop culture. Players take the role of Martin “Marty” Michael Hall, an average high-school student who has just been granted an incredible power – a power that ultimately leads him to attract the ire of the world’s most notorious villain, Commander Hood! Saturday Morning RPG features a full soundtrack by legendary composer Vince DiCola (Transformers: The Animated Movie, Rocky IV) and his composing partner, Kenny Meriedeth (contributor for DuckTales, Power Rangers, X-Men, and others).
– Episodic Gameplay: The story and gameplay of Saturday Morning RPG takes place across several episodes, each of which tells a complete self-contained story. Players can play any episode in any order, at any time! All of your stats and items carry between episodes. It’s a unique spin on the tried and true New Game Plus mode. On top of that, small decisions made in some episodes will carry forth into others – adding a layer of replay to each episode. Five episodes are included!
– Active Turn-Based Combat: Saturday Morning RPG draws quite a bit of inspiration from games like Nintendo’s Paper Mario series. Battles in the game are turn-based, but the player is always participating by actively defending against attacks and completing reflex tests to power up their own assaults.
– Defeat Enemies With Regular Stuff: Marty fights all his battles in the game by channeling magic through everyday objects. Use a pack of striped gum to summon rainbow zebras that trample your foes – or call upon a transforming action figure to morph you into a semi-truck!
– Nostalgia Fueled Everything: Everything in Saturday Morning RPG centers on nostalgia. Marty receives his magical abilities thanks to a certain kind of garish plastic notebook, he can equip scratch ‘n sniff stickers to get statistical boosts, and he’ll traverse worlds inspired by the entire gamut of Saturday morning cartoons.
– Endless Battle Mode: Take on wave after wave of enemies in an endless survival mode where resource management becomes everything!
– Optional Arena Battles: Take on powerful enemies in optional arena battles.