Last night, the Nintendo Switch got a brand new firmware update in the hotly anticipated 5.0.0 update. Unfortunately, it wasn’t as exciting as many people hoped it would be for a major version number update. It added the ability to add friends to your Switch from Facebook and Twitter as the main element, along with some new icons for ARMS and Kirby in the profile area. That being said, a bug has made it possible to browse twitter and facebook. This is detailed in our Prime News video below starting at the 15 second mark:
What isn’t shown off or detailed is facebook. You have to authorize your account, then deauthorize it for Switch. Then when you go back to add it in, you’ll be able to browse a mobile version of facebook. Exciting, no?
Also another update not mentioned by Nintendo is headset support. Now, they stealthy added headset support in an update or two ago, but a vast majority of popular headsets didn’t make the cut. Well, more of them now magically work without any warning. In particular, the Logitech G933 wireless headset, a really popular product, now officially works on Switch. How many other models work is unknown at this time.
Obvious speculation is that this may be hinting towards localized voice chat on Switch instead of through an app, but we won’t know for sure until we get closer to September. Here are some other changes 5.0 added:
- You can filter news articles by channel. You can also filter to unread news
- if you buy software online at nintendo.com it will now download directly to your switch faster
- This update coincides with a parental control app update that lets you make exceptions to software start up restrictions to all your kids to play games you feel are appropriate. You can also
- enter a pin number now in a stealth like manner with the control stick so your kids or whoever else can’t figure it out.
- They also fixed the play activity bug
- Joycons also got an update, but no one has figured out what if anything has changed.